AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

self driving or robotic equipment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 5/9/2021 10:20 (#8995589 - in reply to #8995015)
Subject: RE: self driving or robotic equipment

Chebanse, IL.....

My opinion. Given as a total non-professional, non-expert in anything.

I am 101% for using vehicle installed autopilot type things. I've been doing these since '73, probably before most here had even heard of Trimble. But, back then it was airplane autopilots for me. A good autopilot made life much easier for flying I found. There were all kinds, from basic wing levelers (driven by vacuum, not electrical) to full-blown coupled boxes with auto-throttles. In fact, I had a single pilot air taxi certification that allowed more bad weather operations with a good working autopilot. As some of you know, it was even possible for some airlines in some airplanes with some certified crew to make "0-0" (no visibility forward or down...think super-thick fog!) approaches & landings, at some airports.....as long as they had a full functioning autopilot approved for that operation. Of course, those airline autopilots probably cost more than a 320A farm in NE IL. But, once again, even with the million dollar autopilots, the flight crew had to monitor and have proper certification from the Feds to shoot 0-0 approaches & landings.

But, I am not a supporter for autonomous large propelled farm equipment, or cars, or planes. I always ask the folks that are pushing "driverless tractors" (not autopilot, but meaning there is NO human being inside!) if they would continue to board an a 737 if they turned towards the cockpit when boarding and saw nothing there....nothing. No windshield, no seats, no gauges, no yokes...nothing. I'm guessing most would turn back around & get off. I know I would. I see too many little things that could go wrong. Like that little "beep-beep" you hear very occasionally and your XXXX brand tractor autopilot uncouples. You think, "what the xxxx"? Click the engage button & keep rolling. Well, when there is no one to reengage that little button, then what. 

I know there are safeguards that will cease all operations in case of malfunction, but that in itself can be headaches. Don't we read of occasional Tesla autopilot problems?

We have personally used the JD Machine Synch for about 10 yrs to run the grain cart & combine together. Works great 99% of the time. Wouldn't be without it. But, there is that 1% that requires human intervention. I realize we need progress, but I have always stated I wish the major mfg, all of them, would take whatever $$ they are investing right now in autonomous stuff & put that $$ into fixing some things that continue to repetitiously bug farmers right now. Every mfg probably has quirks that bug their customers that seem unsolvable on this end, and they take $$ to fix. Fix those & make it a better farming world today.

I also note I am sure I will never be asked to advise any CEO on how to run a major ag manufacturer.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)