AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Narrow row anhydrous bar to “fall work” bean stubble to dry earlier in spring?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

GrainTrader
Posted 5/8/2021 16:06 (#8994210)
Subject: Narrow row anhydrous bar to “fall work” bean stubble to dry earlier in spring?

20 Miles West of Indianapolis Indiana
Maybe trying to re-invent the wheel here... but wondering if anyone has taken an older Anhydrous bar (I found a 13 shank 30” for example) and taken it down to a narrower spacing like a 13 shank 20ish’ tool to just scratch up the ground 4-6ish” deep to give the ground a little mechanical aeration in the spring?
Maybe I had higher dollar tillage tools I’d never be in a position to think about this?
I don’t know how much fuel/hours id waste doing this with a 20’ tool 5” deep and a 275 horse or larger tractor?

I’m thinking this wouldn’t disturb the ground enough to encourage erosion like a chisel or disc ripper would.

My dad thought about some type of 2” chisel point on a field cultivator with 1/2 the shanks missing to do the same type of minimal disturbance but provide mechanical aeration/drying in the spring. And I came up with this idea...

This would only be theoretically used on a small portion of the acres to hit early or help on a wetter spring. (I work off farm too so sometimes it worth it to “buy days/time” to get out there early and beat a rain rather then waiting a day or two and then I’m back at work.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)