AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Less fertilizer required, they're working on it......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

twraska
Posted 5/8/2021 15:02 (#8994124 - in reply to #8993102)
Subject: RE: Less fertilizer required, they're working on it......

Wallis, TX
Blusteryknollfarm - 5/7/2021 21:59

Tom,
It works here if the hay gets fed on the farm and the manure spreader takes it back.

2 acre patch by my house used to get brush hogged by the previous tenant. I started haying it with no inputs. Great for about 4 years, then it really dropped off on yield. Year or two of that and I started putting 10-12 tons of bedding pack manure on it every year or two. Take one cut of hay and rotationally graze it the other 3 cuts. Back to high productivity again.

I was planting soybeans today in boot stage rye. I can find the old fencelines because of where the rye is thicker and greener. Soil tests are lower on the side where the rye is better. Same treatment on both sides since 2016 with the exception of different cover crops seeded in summer of 2017. I don't know why there's a difference, but there is.

Here the hay gets taken from the field and deposited in the pasture. Even then, we wind up needing N, P& K on the pasture ground, and of course, more on the hay patches. I’m guessing uneven manure distribution and our high rainfall leaching is to blame.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)