AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Does variable drive need to be calibrated?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

MiradaAcres
Posted 5/6/2021 13:18 (#8990593 - in reply to #8990445)
Subject: RE: Does variable drive need to be calibrated?

scmn

I realize you have years experience of working with VRT.  I also realize that VRT planting and VRT fertilizer are more similar than they are different.  Much like a spreader, a wider row spacing on a planter lowers the minimum VRT rate the planter is capable of while the narrower the row spacing the higher the minimum hence why the ground drive planters are capable of down to 10k/acre in 40" rows while the lowest for 30" rows is 14,000.  Just because all of your VRT seed RXs are for 12-36k does not eliminate the fact the there are row crops with target rates down to 4k or less that this system will struggle with.

The guys that run around and treat monitors and controllers like they are one in the same are the reason that farmers that can plug their VRD machine right into their 2600/2630/Pro700/Intelliview IV and run it and don't need to order a controller but just and adapter caple.  They think that the tack controller has all the software to control every implement built into it, while in reality it is more like a computer logging on to the internet to view the web pages of the attached controllers that are connected to the ISOBUS.  They read about guys on the internet running their planter/spreader/sprayer with their 2600/2630/Pro700/Intelliview IV and assume that is all it takes.  Then they get upset when they find out they need a $2-3000 controller to run a VRD machine they bought because their VRT guy said their 2600/2630/Pro700/Intelliview IV "monitor" would run it since they do it all the time while forgetting to ask them which controller they will have on the machine.  Why would they worry about that when they show up and he can't get it to run they tell him the dealer screwed up and forgot to order it and pass the buck to someone else.  I would rather try to educate them that there is a difference between the monitor and the controller so they realize they are not one in the same so they ask more questions when buying so they get it set up correctly.

As for the VRD, I just found it interesting that Deere uses the same motor/valve setup as everyone else in the industry and last week it was considered junk and no good for a VRD by you and now today that same drive setup is more than capable for a VRD and having a 12k-36k range is more than acceptable while 120#-360# is not an acceptable range for a spreader using the same drive.  Apparently you hold spreaders to much higher standards than planters.  What annoys me is that you have 7 years experience in a field that had been around for the better part of 15 years and you still have not learned the limitations of VRD equipment.  Sounds like more of a job than a passion to me.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)