AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Too late for 1031 exchange?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

IHCPloughman
Posted 5/5/2021 15:00 (#8988834)
Subject: Too late for 1031 exchange?

SE SD
I sold some ground and recently closed. Bought land at auction a few days later expecting to do a 1031 exchange. The auction land literally fell into my lap. I am now told it is "too late" to do a 1031 exchange because when I closed on the sold piece of land the closing documents were supposed to state that a "Qualified Intermediary" was listed as the Seller and the check made out to the Qualified Intermediary. I would enter into a contract with this "Qualified Intermediary" to hold my money until I found new land to buy.

1. It is extremely frustrating to hear it is "too late".
2. I have read IRS form 8824 and the instructions for it and the IRS code 1031. The instructions for 8824 state "IF a qualified intermediary is used...". 1031 code makes no mention of it. I don't know why I can't just file form 8824 at tax time. This transaction falls within the IRS time limits of identifying the replacement land in 45 days and closing within 180 days. I am following the intent, or spirit, of the 1031 code.
3. It seems like from internet searching, that the only entities saying you need to use a Qualified Intermediary are the ones offering that service. Sounds like an opportunity for them to stick their fingers into the transaction.
4. Anybody have experience with this?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)