AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are you mechanical?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

jdironman
Posted 5/5/2021 08:28 (#8988377 - in reply to #8987881)
Subject: RE: Are you mechanical?

Nw Iowa
I guess when younger never afraid to try something, somethings turned out fine others not so good. I have a pretty good vision of what will work and what won’t as far as grain setups, mechanical things. I am not good with electrical or computer but generally can look at a problem and see what is wrong and how it should be fixed, as I get older realizing a lot more that I don’t have the time or the skill to fix a particular problem. My brother is a very good fabricator and welder and things look professional after he is done, much more thorough than I am on mechanical also. I was always in a hurry so cobbled things together which served me well in some things and not others. ( if my brother reads this will laugh about my welding) used to be able to do about anything with a torch but getting pretty rusty there too. Now any of newer tractors go to JD or Cat other than routine maintenance or track work which we do ourselves. Some of this newer stuff without computers and special tools you can do a lot of damage in a hurry. I too as I am getting older losing interest in shop work, get pretty antsy to sit in a shop too long so I take care of most of grain type things and other guys do the shop work. In general though kind of tight so household things like plumbing or electrical will size problem up before calling a repairman because most pretty simple. As a kid could pull a engine and did overhaul a Chevy engine with some guidance but have absolutely no interest in that kind of stuff now. The other day had to pull a radiator on a 4240, kind of enjoyed redoing water pump, new hoses thru out tractor, fixing rear remotes but we were ready with everything else and couldn’t be in the field so didn’t have much pressure and really pretty simple. We do have a young man that works for us that will tackle more complex mechanical problems, no formal education in mechanics, but is very patient, knows how to find right you tube and does a great job so very great full that he likes doing that kind of stuff in slow times.
Edit As I get older I also realize that sometimes you are really not saving much money on some projects or sometimes loosing money on some projects, it takes you twice as long or longer than someone skilled and you can make better use of your time somewhere else. Sometimes we get penny wise and dollar foolish. Even building things, sometimes you do a beautiful job but to resell it, has almost no value compared to a factory unit even if homemade is just as good or better.. So once again you actually lost money if you valued time and resale ability.

Edited by jdironman 5/5/2021 11:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)