AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are you mechanical?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Red Paint
Posted 5/5/2021 06:02 (#8988140 - in reply to #8987881)
Subject: RE: Are you mechanical?

SW “Ohia”

Growing up here in tobaccoland meant running ancient tractors and equipment far beyond their lifespan. Grandpa wasn’t much for maintenance, just enough to keep things running. Dad at least changes oil. I’m pretty well self taught on ag repair and I do everything except short block assembly for engine overhauls. Everything I farm with is old and can be repaired from a toolbox.

As far as automobiles, I was probably 15 years old before I really understood you could take a car to a mechanic in town and just drop it off for repairs. Dad always did them himself and I’m the same way. About the only thing I hire done are front end alignments. I don’t understand how people can afford to pay mechanic rate for every little repair on their vehicles.

I’m an engineer by day, and being a tightwad, it’s fun to use that knowledge for the farm. It’s amazing to look at what the ag manufacturers charge for some components that are right out of the McMaster catalog.

Carpentry and woodworking are my least favorite tasks but with what it costs to hire people, no other option but to do them yourself.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)