AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone have a Woodmizer Sawmill?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Beerslayer
Posted 5/6/2021 11:50 (#8990458 - in reply to #8989113)
Subject: RE: Anyone have a Woodmizer Sawmill?

scott312 - 5/4/2021 19:41

What do you do to dry the lumber? I dream of having one of those but I'm not sure exactly how to dry it or how to avoid it becoming twisted up garbage.

What I do is paint the ends of the boards with any leftover paint to limit end checking, then I sticker them up in a connex with a household dehumidifier and big fan. I use Frigidaire dehumidifiers from Lowes or Amazon $250, big round fans from Harbor Freight, around $100.

I like to drill a hole in the floor of the connex and run the drain for the dehumidifier outside so I'm not emptying the water all the time.

Dehumidifier works much better in warmer weather, not much at all when it's cold.

Works great! I'm using Douglas Fir 1" thick for interior trim on my house and it doesn't shrink more once it is installed.

Also if sap stain is an issue spray the lumber before drying with Boracare, or much cheaper is the agricultural borate. It's just a mineral salt and stops most of the mold and also kills any beetle larvae in the wood if the logs have been down a while.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)