AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

First lawsuit against white farmer discrimination filed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 5/4/2021 14:27 (#8987155 - in reply to #8987123)
Subject: RE: First lawsuit against white farmer discrimination filed

If it wasn't just a big virtue signal, the program might stand. Otherwise, regardless of personal opinions by lawmakers and judges, the program is not legal (there are laws against discrimination on the basis of skin color). I remember something similar when women's rights went well beyond injustice and there were "reverse discrimination" lawsuits.

The problem is the USDA didn't feel like doing the necessary work to make a decent program to make up for earlier programs that were discriminatory (I'm assuming there were such programs). They could of listed programs that had a discriminatory effect (even if unintentional), determined the scope of who was affected then determine a reasonable compensation. Evanston IL has a program to compensate families (and descendants) for blatantly unfair home lending practices in the 60's. They can pretty much document what happened and who it happened to.

I'm not sure most black folks are looking for a hand out, but like the rest of us, will take the money and go on. I would think it would be better if had a basis in history rather than just a white virtue signal. For those desiring to be angry at everything, any restitution is meaningless.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)