AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Uniform emergence key!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

StarAg
Posted 5/3/2021 22:35 (#8986134 - in reply to #8985954)
Subject: RE: Uniform emergence key!

NC Iowa
BFarm - 5/3/2021 21:24

Thanks for the video. Our soil conditions around Easter were perfect, so we got going. As with most springs, especially in the river bottoms, we are usually too wet early on. This year, the warm temps and wind let us get into our wetter fields first and they worked like a garden. Then a few days later we got 2.5" of rain over a couple days---2 more inches than forecasted. That kind of hurts even emergence as standing water drains off and the soil dries unevenly. Our theory is when the soil works good, get it planted. It's been hit and miss ever since due to rains every few days. Short version: we do what we can, but the weather bats last, and in the end we hope to get a stand! Good video! Looking forward to how your plot does.

I've done better from the video standpoint. It was windy today and I did rush it to get posted. I noticed the impact of the April 23rd planting date in dry soil conditions causing uneven emergence so wanted to point that out. You nailed it when you said "We do what we can, but the weather bats last, and in the end we hope to get a stand!'
I love agronomy and scouting fields for clients and have used video and photos for years mostly to document what I see. I only started sharing video on this forum the past few months because I want to make a difference while I still can.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)