AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Has anyone regretted being proactive?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 5/6/2021 05:03 (#8989763 - in reply to #8982407)
Subject: RE: Has anyone regretted being proactive?

SE Manitoba
Alberta Cowman - 5/1/2021 21:00

dabeegmon - 5/1/2021 15:53

Alberta Cowman - 5/1/2021 14:15

Well it’s May and this is one of my most productive alfalfa pastures.

We’re fairly dry and the forecast has been calling for moisture but has been wrong 90% of the time. Right now I’m set for pasture on a relatively normal year. I ran the numbers on drylotting my 700# steers and due to the cost of barley I can’t make it pencil out as I have a lot of coarse lower quality feed. I’m also not setup for feeding silage to smaller groups due to my silage pits having too much face area and I wouldn’t have a fast enough removal rate.

Maybe I’m being pessimistic but if it doesn’t rain here in two weeks there’s going to be a lot of grassers being sold. Right now mine are worth a decent $ but if everyone else is unloading I can’t see that lasting. On the flip side if it does turn out being a good year I’ll possibly be leaving $ on the table.

I went through this previously and supplemented on pasture but feed grain was about 60% of the price it currently is. It stretched the grass but felt like a full time job out feeding them all summer.

Has anyone regretted getting ahead of the curve?

Sorry if this comes across as a pity party or rant. Maybe I’m just tired from calving and field work and over thinking this.

You've heard it before - - - - You just can't feed your way out of a drought!
If you've got profit in the yearlings at today's pricing - - - - get out of them.
No sin in a profit and if it stays dry for even another 2 weeks (highly likely I think from the forecasts I'm seeing) there won't be a profit in them all too quick.
I'm sure there is some way to put that money to use without giving a lot to the tax man!

I’d say I have a small profit on these currently. I’d definitely be leaving $ on the table if it’s a normal year and this inflation catches up on the feeder side. Those are both pretty big “if’s” in my mind.

If it is dry I may look like a genius.

How’s the moisture situation your way?

We've had some 5 or is it 6 years in a row of below average moisture.
This is looking very bad! Add in the cold weather and grass isn't even really started.
We've got the soil that would take it so I'd take 2" of rain as long as it didn't come in 2 hours.
Likely could take and 1" every second day for say 2 weeks or more and then we might be getting to decent and that would still take more for the season.
Forecast says we're lucky if we get 1/2" in total over the next 4 to 6 weeks.
Hay pricing are already starting to move up!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)