AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dryness, Easter Corn and wind
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Jrditchdigger
Posted 5/1/2021 08:48 (#8981547)
Subject: Dryness, Easter Corn and wind

Southern MN
In my neck of the world we got enough snow and sprinkles the beginning of this week that I believe we will get all the corn and soy that we had planted up and going. Were able to get back planting by Thursday and by midnight on Thursday/Friday morning had corn in dry dirt again. Finishing everything except a field to be tiled and our organic ground today. 88 degrees with 35 mph winds predicted today. Are going to try and keep the field cultivators no more than 100 feet ahead of the planters so we can pack as much moisture back in as possible. How come when it’s dry the f%$#&#&#& wind has to blow every day?!
Am guessing the guys that planted Easter weekend are smiling. Snodgrass is not expecting much for abnormally cold the next couple of weeks, that could easily be the best corn this year. We were the area during the early 2010’s when the country was really hurting that was still producing above average yields. Maybe it’s our turn to struggle yield wise. 50% chance of showers Sunday night, not much after that. Still expect we will have a huge crop with some well timed rains, but it is the driest I have ever seen it this time of the year in my 40+ years of farming. Way to early to kill the crop but it would be nice to get it out of the ground at least.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)