AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How would you handle this situation?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

TheYoungGun
Posted 4/25/2021 23:08 (#8973286)
Subject: How would you handle this situation?

I have a 40 acre field in front of my house that I seeded to alfalfa a year ago. It's had a good start this spring and has been greening up very nicely. Last Saturday morning I and discovered that sometime in the night someone pulled into the field and tilled up a 60ft swath with a field cultivator where the field meets the road(no deep ditch so its easy to drive in anywhere) roughly an 1/8th of a mile long. I called all the close neighbors and no one saw anything and at that time I had no idea who it could have been.

I had the land roller hooked up ready to go so I rolled the tilled section in an attempt to seal it off and hopefully save a some of it but Im not to optimistic about that approach. Anyway this afternoon a local farmer pulled on my yard and explained that it was his son who had damaged my alfalfa. He claims that his son was working late and got lost on the way to the next field and accidentally pulled into mine. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense as the closest field to me that he farms is over two miles away. Seems like a pretty large mistake even if was the middle of the night when you compare growing alfalfa to soybean stubble or tilled cornstalks. He told me to fix the field however I wanted and send him the bill.

I don't know this guy all that well but I've talked to him a few times over the years at auction sales or at local co-op. He's one of the larger farmers in the area but definitely not a BTO at least not in mentality. He has the reputation of being humble and hardworking. His son on the other hand is the complete opposite and well known to me. He loves to act the bigshot every chance he gets and cause trouble for people if he can. Knowing what I know now I'm certain he probably worked his way through a 30 rack that night(no proof but it's a regular occurrence for him) and decided to have a little fun/ cause some trouble on the way by knowing his dad would try to smooth things over later. I don't really feel like stirring the pot even more over what realistically less than an acre of damage. Still I can't pretend that I wasn't/still am highly irritated over the damage to my crop. What would you do to resolve this? Take the dad up on his offer or just fix it myself and let it go?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)