AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Had a first at the local parts store today
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

caleb2684
Posted 4/24/2021 22:21 (#8971199)
Subject: Had a first at the local parts store today

Aggieland
I live in a town of about 1,500 people and we have a locally owned Napa store. It’s probably 1,000 sqft with an additional 500 in the back. Open Saturdays until noon just like most small town stores.

I am trying to build one John Deere lawnmower out of two and I’m a complete idiot for trying to do so. (I have become the tightwad I often complain about.)

I needed the drive belt for the 1994 Stx38 lawnmower and spark plugs for my 1984 Honda Three wheeler.

I went to town with the kids at 11:40 to grab these items hopefully and then to DQ for lunch. We pull up and the lights are off, the open sign isn’t on but there are customers at the counter. I go in and make a wise crack about the new green deal and energy conservation and the counter guys laugh. They said they’d been without power all day and that the whole town is without due to upgrading some poles. I live outside of town so I had no idea.

I was absolutely floored that the late 20s early 30s aged counter guy without any computer grabbed the old book, found my mower, cross referenced the belt, went into the back and found the belt all faster than the big Napa 35 miles away in town could have with their fancy computers. He also crossed my plugs to a Champion and had those too.

So in 2021 a millennial at a parts store used parts book to quickly cross reference a 27yr old lawnmowers belt, a 37 year old three wheelers spark plug, ring me up and send me on my way. He did have to use his phone to lookup the prices but that’s understandable. I got a hand written receipt and I paid with a check to boot.

I never did get that one complete mower today. I should just go buy a new one and be done with it but I’m too danged stubborn.

Caleb
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)