AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Total US deaths 2017 vs 2020
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

The Pretender
Posted 4/23/2021 10:31 (#8968726 - in reply to #8968416)
Subject: Needs Context.

The Internet

havin’funfarming - 4/23/2021 13:35 From what I can find the total deaths in the US in 2017 was 2813503 and in 2020 it was 2854838. That’s 41335 more deaths in 2020. Someone posted that the total covid deaths was over 500000 though. Are the figures I found not accurate? If not can someone post the correct figures? I’m not trying to belittle the 42335 extra deaths that happened but unless someone comes up with significantly different total death figures I am still left looking for a serious pandemic.

In the UK we keep being given figures comparing 2020 to the last 5 year average. For a start, an average is just that. Secondly, there is a range of high and low figures to give us the average. Thirdly, 5 years is nothing. We have Office Of National Statistics figures that go back to 1990, so 30 years, so lets compare to that. Let's look at the tread in that time, then we must adjust for population size and as this is a disease of the old, let's look at the number of people in the affected age range.

IIRC, the death per thousand last year was 10.3, high compared to recent years, but about the same as 2003 and lower than 2000. The issue is, that in recent years we have become used to death rates per thousand in the 9's, but this just means you have vulnerable people sort of backing up in the system because we keep on keeping them alive longer than their design life. Then covid comes along, cleans out the vulnerable and sorts the long term average out. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)