AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I love wraped hay!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/18/2021 12:31 (#8958682)
Subject: I love wraped hay!

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I put out some wrapped hay yesterday and was again amazed at the quality of these 5 x about 5-1/2 ft dia mixed grass legume bales for this time of year in my SW WI climate. They were baled at around 40% last summer. They are heavy, I need to make sure I have one on the rear spears before picking one up with the loader.

While grass is greening up a bit earlier than usual this year, I still keep cattle off of pastures and don't start rotational grazing until after May 1. Cows especially this time of year are usually tired of hay and nibble anything green open to them down to golf green level. They are also tired of carrying heavy calves around, moving slowly and looking like wide loads but need good nutrition especially now with about 2 weeks to go until the start of calving May 1.

This high quality hay is a life saver compared to unwrapped hay stored outside in Wisconsin weather for almost of a year.  Cows swarmed right around the bales as I put them out. Getting to the end of the row at this location but have some more at another farm if needed.

I do intend to aim for wrapping 40% hay this coming summer rather than the 60-70% hay where I have had some mold, especially once the tube is opened and fed slowly. 30-40% and 6 wraps seems to work best here.

Edited by Jim 4/18/2021 13:11

(20210417_161901_Wrapped hay (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20210417_161901_Wrapped hay (full).jpg (232KB - 134 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)