AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Input prices limiting corn/soybean acres here.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JonSCKs
Posted 4/18/2021 09:55 (#8958389)
Subject: Input prices limiting corn/soybean acres here.

I’ve been busy.. not much free time to post.  

However, I’m struck with how many acres here are flowing out of corn and Soybeans due to high input prices.

breakfast table Saturday morning.. one of the larger corn growers across the table.

”I’m not planting a single acre to corn this year.”  This from someone.. the reason I asked how far along he was is that usually he’s one of the first to plant corn.

Why?

Costs too much... all I do is write checks to input suppliers.. done with that game.  Seed, chemicals, fertilizer..etc.

So what are you planting?

Sorghum.. less costs.. new technology allows better herbicide options.. market is pretty good right now.

He is still planting some soybeans.

on our farm.. we planted more HRW Wheat.. vs what could have been dryland corn.. primarily on drought concerns last fall.. but wheat is just as high as corn.. despite larger stocks.. much cheaper to grow.. bin run seed vs $$$$. And in a dry year.. yields almost as much.. some years more.

The younger generation is going back to crops like alfalfa.. expensive to plant.. but once established.
 And given the trends.. subs for meal and corn in the feedlots.. so they are addressing it that way.

yes others are gonna plant corn and soybeans.. but.. seen this rodeo before.. why chase the input up escalator?

guys are getting creative vs being a slave to the big chem/seed companies.

I don’t see this trend changing any time soon.

the market seems to think that corn and soy acres will “show up” in future reports... ???

... not so sure about that from what we’re seeing here. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)