AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Would you buy a McFarlane Reel Disk?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

150pilot
Posted 4/8/2021 08:05 (#8939378 - in reply to #8938627)
Subject: RE: Would you buy a McFarlane Reel Disk?

New London, Wisconsin
I have one, and like it most days. Everything has it's ups and downs. Disks ridge too much, Salfords are too expensive, two brands of soil finishers were no better and left ridges. I have considered selling my disk because the issues I occasionally get from the reel disk are less troublesome than disking.

There is a lot to getting it set correctly, so read the manual. The washboarding is adjusted out by lowering the front of the machine a bit to make the disks run a bit deeper than the reel, it's in the manual. As far as the reel plugging, yes it has done that but usually only in sticky clay soils where disks can have trouble too. When dry it's a great machine. When wet, wait till it's drier. When things are set right and dry, it's pretty great to have.

I'm in my third year with it. The things I learned to carefully watch are: 1 don't expect to run it all the way down as deep as it goes. It's not meant to do that and that makes plugging more prevalent. Check to see that it's a bit lower on front so it doesn't washboard. If it does, that is terrible to follow behind. The wing depth is touchy and comes with an adjustment, so use it. If you take the time to set it, they can be a very good machine. If you drop the pin and race without looking back, get something else, like a field cultivator, but those will not leave the surface nearly as smooth as the reel disk.

Jim
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)