AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Agleader InCommand Ipad not connecting for tile maps
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/7/2021 06:56 (#8937533 - in reply to #8937305)
Subject: RE: Agleader InCommand Ipad not connecting for tile maps

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
jd_erd - 4/6/2021 22:41

Agfiniti or agfiniti mobile? 2 different apps

Also is your incommand set to access point mode?

I have used Ag Finiti mobile on an iPad Pro for a couple of years now. I use mine with planting, spraying and harvest but have no experience with installing drain tile. My InCommand 1200 is set to Access Point. This means that communication takes place between the InCommand and the iPad wirelessly in what I would call a direct communication between the two devices. No Internet is utilized with this method. The two devices need to be reasonably close to each other. Data is transferred from the InCommand to the App on the iPad in what I think of as a "batch" process. That is that the data is NOT transferred on a "blow by blow" approach but transferred as a "batch" for efficiency I assume.

This "batch" data transfer takes place when the operator switches to another field. It can be forced (which I would recommend you try for testing) prior to completion of a field by touching the icons in the upper right corner. There is a menu item that prepares the data for transfer. After forcing the transfer I see a small icon on top of the App on the iPad. This is an indication that the transfer is/has taken place. After a bit, the App processes the data and it should be visible on the iPad screen.

What I have described is the free version. Ag Leader encourages one to go with the yearly site license which then involves the internet. This requires an Internet connection for the InCommand 1200 such as a hotspot or other possibilities. This is the more sophisticated approach. The data is then transferred on a "blow by blow" approach and would be available on other devices such as the iPad, office computer, agronomist's computer etc. You do need to grant permission for the devices so your data is available only to those that you wish to allow.

I'm guessing that you may have planned to go the free route as I do. Then the InCommand needs to be setup as an Access Point. I have my iPad mounted in a stand in my planting tractor right now. With the InCommand On, I can check on the situation by going to Settings on the iPad and then the WiFi section. If I see InCommand as the WiFi choice then the two devices should be able to communicate. If I take the iPad out of the tractor and check the settings again, the WiFi choice might be my home WiFi or another Access Point that is within range.

Since you are receiving a message about "no internet service", I suspect that your system is not setup to use the InCommand as an Access Point. This can be done by pushing the icons on the upper right of the InCommand screen and then following the information on one of the screens.

This Access Point business was/is confusing to me. I like to make my life difficult and have some wireless cameras which use the Access Point concept as well. That means my iPad can work with my InCommand if the WiFi choice is InCommand. If I take the same iPad to my truck to haul grain and I want to use the camera, a different Access Point is used so the camera App can work with the camera. This can all take place "in the background" without my knowledge or intervention as long as the devices are distant from each other. That means that the iPad will search for a connection and if only one is found then it is used and life is good. The problem comes in if more than one is within range. I might need to force the iPad to change its choice.

The confusion came in last Fall. I had an InCommand setup as an Access Point in my combine to transfer harvest information to the iPad and Ag Finiti Mobile. I had done that before and it worked well. Last Fall, I installed a wireless camera on the rear of the combine. Since the camera uses the Access Point method as well there were two Access Points available in the cab. If only one Access Point is available the iPad switches to it. With two Access Points available, it is luck of the draw since the iPad can only work with one Access Point at a given time.

My solution: Buy another tablet. Use the iPad with the InCommand as in the past but use the other tablet for the camera. I found a nice sized Android tablet at Wal-Mart. The Android tablet will detect the Access Point from the InCommand and also the one from the camera. I force the Android tablet to use the camera Access Point. I force the iPad to use the InCommand Access Point. Confusing? Actually it makes more sense now that I've put it in words.

Apparently I need more confusion in my life so over Winter I experimented with some ESP-32 micro controller boards. These boards can be used for a variety of projects. These boards have WiFi and Bluetooth capabilities. I used one with a relay board to create a system for opening my shed door openers from my iPhone, iPad or the Wal-Mart tablet. I could have setup the boards to use Bluetooth but setting it up as an Access Point provided longer range. The down side is that when I approach my door yard with the combine, I then have yet another Access Pont to manage. Guess I could grab my phone and force it to use the opener Access Point. The various systems seem to be able to keep all this straight but I'm not so sure I can.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)