AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

? About church finances credit card for expenses
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tigger
Posted 4/7/2021 09:26 (#8937824 - in reply to #8937764)
Subject: RE: ? About church finances credit card for expenses

Iowa
In my experience, it was easier to write individual checks to reimburse expenses. They give me the receipt to be filed (if they want to be reimbursed), the computer would write the check (addressed and ready to be mailed) and record it in the proper account all in one step. All I had to do was put a stamp on it and drop it in the mail.

It is true there is only one check to write with the credit card, but then I had to sift through the statement, make all the accounting entries to allocate the expenses, match up all the receipts kept in a separate file that came in from various sources, and hunt down any receipts that I did not have for items that I may or may not have known about (although legitimate) charged by the secretary or the pastor. It was quicker and easier for me to write the individual checks. The accounting was also cleaner and more straight forward for others to audit or the monthly council reports that would have everything nailed down and balancing with the bank. Using the credit card was still not that big of a deal compared to how much easier it made things for the secretary and pastor to do their jobs.

We did have a small limit on the credit card. I don't think anyone was too concerned about it being abused, especially with all the transparency, documentation, oversight, and reasonably competent people involved.

This reminds me of a joke about a (fill in the blank for whatever religion) guy. It was said that if you let him borrow your fishing boat to make sure he had another church member with him. They will watch each other. If you let him take the boat by himself, he will drink all of your beer!

Edited by tigger 4/7/2021 09:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)