AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pond Siphon for Pasture Water
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Lb94
Posted 3/8/2021 16:57 (#8880445)
Subject: Pond Siphon for Pasture Water

West Central Illinois
Drove through the pasture this morning and saw the pond that is the water source for all 40 acres and thought it looked pretty dang good since no cattle had been in there since Christmas. Gave me the thought that others on here are probably right and i need to hot wire around the pond to keep cattle out and better my water source. This pasture is not owned but rented so I'm limited as far as money on permanent things such as just building a new pond, wells, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUsTT_RUEdQ

Had gotten the idea off a youtube video about doing a siphon to fill a stock tank below the dam which would also be a good central location to be able to rotate all my different fields tagged onto it for rotational grazing these stockers. All kinds of info. online about doing a siphon or ram pump for cheap and initially in the videos you see it works but my question is does anybody do these kind of setups on a permanent basis? With the # of cattle on a tank at most would have 1 or 2 day water supply in the tank so not much room for error as far as running them out of water in the summer. I only check cattle once a day most the time as well so just concerned with the days things don't go right.

As far as schematics with the spot it's maybe a 6 t 8' drop from the water level to where i'd have the tank and is not much of a run for the water line, maybe 30 ft. Does anybody have a setup like this they use permanently in the summer time? My other option I'd think would be some kind of battery or solar pump but I know nothing about any of that so wouldn't have a clue where to begin.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)