AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

General irrigation question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

TheGleaner
Posted 3/6/2021 02:34 (#8875513)
Subject: General irrigation question

ND
Does anyone use a pond/dam for storage?

We don't irrigate(yet, some day maybe) but it was just something I thought of, we have a rather large stock dam(about 3/4-1 mile across) that we can't use due to how it was built in the 1940s(before us and the previous owners time), you walk in about 5 feet and it suddenly goes from below the knee to above your head, like a step, no slope or anything. Because of that, and cows thinking they need to be up to their stomachs before they drink, we can't use it, but its always full and now a very large fresh water line(you could duck and walk through the pipe, 100-150 psi I think is what they said they are running it at) goes past it 300 feet away, and the easement for that line states "unlimited water out of the provided 3" line" (and we weren't really paid that well in other words). The water is drinkable. We never fixed it as there is another dam about a 1/2 mile away that is more cattle friendly. The neighbor who's land it starts on has new pivots right on it and uses them without issue it appears (He has a similar agreement, but with a bigger line, 12" I believe).

If it's not clear enough, pump from the dam to pivot or whatever , and refill the dam with the" unlimited water line". Bad idea? Good idea? Ok idea? "It will work but not NAT approved idea"?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)