AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Clearing wind blown trees
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 3/4/2021 18:07 (#8872948 - in reply to #8872612)
Subject: RE: Clearing wind blown trees

SE Manitoba
StxPecans - 3/4/2021 13:27

I really wonder what the OP intended use of the land is once cleared. If not tilling the land but rather maybe making pasture I would probably get a dozer out there and push everything up good enough to burn but try to keep from uprooting everything. Cut most off close to the ground and let them rot out. Those root balls are 3/4 of the work from trying to burn them and leveling everything back out.

Also not sure if he is thinking about selling the timber for money or just wants it cleared. Burning it in place as much as possible it by far the cheapest way. Seems like a guy with some extra time and a 15-20,000lbs dozer could do that job in a few weeks. But if you talking uprooting every tree and leveling it off and such I reccomend digging big burn holes and placing the root balls on top of the burn pile. Then you can just cover up your hole and begin to level it all off. And I think a 15-20,000 lbs dozer could easily handle that job. 30 acres yes but if t was 100 acres that would probably be a bit much.

Not sure if this was normal timber land or what, but fsa office does have whip/ecp for hurricane damage and cleanup. Also if these were trees for timber I think the tap program could pay for them (tree assistance program) maybe somthing to look into.

Then on top of that the nrcs office would help pay to convert into pasture under the equip program.

The stumps rotting out is something that only works in climatic ares that get x amounts of frost free and y " of rain.
It works great in the NE USA - - - - it totally sucks in the northern farming areas in Western Canada.
I remember watching guys try what you were suggesting. 10 years later the stumps were still there and the trees - - - - -well they started regrowing.

Lousiana - - - - - great idea - - - - - but not necessarily everywhere.
With a 20k# cat I would be firing the operator if it took more than even a week.

(I know a guy that for some 30+ years would do up to well over 20k acres a winter - - - - cut and piled. Have been told of 2 operators doing a half section in a shift - - - - was told that but this was big business for many years and some guys got really good at it!!)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)