AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The economics of cow/calf and when to walk away?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

thistooshallpass
Posted 3/3/2021 14:50 (#8870639 - in reply to #8870171)
Subject: RE: The economics of cow/calf and when to walk away?

East Central SD
I walked away from cattle at the age of 50 and I decided to do it because of personal reasons rather than economic. This is something that wasn't discussed much in this thread. Peace of mind and because of the stress related to the cattle business. No matter how good of fence you have there is always the worry of the cattle being out as you take a weekend off or day away. The work and worry of cows calving in the cold, wet weather that our springs provide is another concern. There is also the worry of injury and death dealing with cattle. There are lots of guys walking around limping or other injuries as a result of working cattle. The extra help needed (and not available) to work cattle or get a sick calf to suck, or cow rounded up that got out were a problem too. I found that the neighbors were getting their equipment ready when I was watching cows or pulling a calf, another opportunity cost. I could go on. The only thing I miss is the calf check in the fall, but I offset that with selling hay, grain from pasture I broke up, renting out pasture and selling not needed equipment. Now there is time for family events, trips, friendships, church activities, and even part time work like driving bus, or temporary work in town, or shop work on the farm. I am glad I made the decision I did years ago.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)