AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The economics of cow/calf and when to walk away?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

schmitty
Posted 3/3/2021 13:16 (#8870506 - in reply to #8870171)
Subject: RE: The economics of cow/calf and when to walk away?

NCSD
You’re not alone! That’s for sure.
I’m in the same boat!
Raising cattle just flat out doesn’t pay.

1. Time spent.. I feel I should get a little reward for my time. I’m not asking for $20/hour. Any compensation for taking time away from my family would be nice! Having just done my 2020 taxes, i can tell you that 30% of my income comes from cattle. 70% from grain.
I am absolutely certain that I spend more than 30% of my time throughout the year raising cattle. I truly believe it’s completely upside-down. I spend closer to 70% of my time to raise $1000 worth of cattle. VS 30% of my time to raise $1000 worth of grain.

If I figure my time feeding, fencing, pushing snow, working cattle, cutting & bailing, chopping silage, hauling to and from pastures. Hauling manure, grinding hay. Calving time!!!! I’d seriously like to know how many hours I spend on cattle.

2. Insurance.
There is no crop ins for cattle. I do puts and some LRP. But nothing guarantees green ink for the cowboy. USDA needs to step up if they want the cattle industry to survive. Bottom line.

3. Markets.
The packers have the ability to do things to the cattle market that would be against the law if they did the same things to the grain market.

I really don’t know why I’m still in the cattle business.
I’m 35. I’ve had cattle my whole life. I guess I feel this might turn around soon....but I’ve been feeling that for awhile now. I’m burnt out.

A neighbor and good friend of 40 years of age lost his life to a mean cow 11 months ago. Accidents happen in any profession, I get it, but still.

I guess maybe my kids will gain interest in cattle and it sure is easier to start with a herd than starting from scratch....but then do I really want them to get into it???

I don’t know. Sorry no straight answer for your problem. But I do feel your pain!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)