AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

California energy crisis vs Texas
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

campbell
Posted 3/3/2021 07:32 (#8869724 - in reply to #8869628)
Subject: RE: California energy crisis vs Texas

CENTRAL ILLINIOS
I think the big thing is that it was a once in 100 year weather event. Most systems are not designed to work perfectly in a 1/100 year event like that.
We had a 50 year rain event in our area a few years ago and people tried driving roads where they always had and ended up drowning.
I will repeat what I posted before - my brother in law works for an electric generation company that has 12 generating stations in Texas. Ten were online and working to capacity. One that was offline is a gas fired plant and it was down because they could not get the gas. The other one down is coal fired and it was down because the surge bins that hold the coal just before it goes to the boiler were full of wet coal and it had frozen into a big block of ice. Up north they put those surge bins in a shed and keep them warm with waste heat from the generator.
I don't know who exactly is to blame for the gas supply problems but like you I think it would be interesting to find out - some combination of high demand and low output from some wells is what it sounds like.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)