AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dehorn paste hack...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Dirtfarmer1000
Posted 3/2/2021 19:40 (#8868847)
Subject: Dehorn paste hack...

Alberta
I know I will be told by the angus guys to go buy an angus bull and the polled guys that if we bought a polled bull we wouldn't need to dehorn. For those who need to dehorn and use paste, I am not sure what paste is out there for the US guys, but here in Canada I have only seen 2 brands, Naylors and Dominion. I like the Dominion because I find it more potent than Naylors and also it comes in a plastic squeeze bottle. 15 or 20 years ago I am sure Dominion changed the way they make it. The paste that was sold was coming crystallized instead of the smooth peanut butter consistency we got before.. After much frustration trying to spread a bunch of hard crystals to dehorn calves, I thought that maybe I would do what the meth users do and cook it to get rid of the crystals. After melting bottles into plastic blobs in the microwave and wrecking a few pots on the stove, I figured out that throwing the bottles in a double boiler on the stove on very low heat for about 24 hours gets rid of the crystals and lets the user spread it like peanut butter. Word of caution, tighten the lids and don't let the pots run out of water. The bottle will be crystal free for a few months. Any I have left I just cook again the next season.

Edited by Dirtfarmer1000 3/2/2021 19:43

(20210302_181428 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20210302_181428 (full).jpg (76KB - 59 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)