AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lonely Steer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

turbo diesal
Posted 3/2/2021 18:16 (#8868668 - in reply to #8868629)
Subject: RE: Lonely Steer?

I try to never separate a animal, especially in a new place. Though I admit sometimes I do it with mature bulls for a short period if I know they can handle it ok

I have seem some previously docile animals go dangerously crazy when they get separated, both from cows getting left behind from the group and buying new bulls that have just been separated from there brothers .Animals always return to being docile after they have some company. Extreme behavior like that is unlikely for a hand fed steer but there are other problems. He might not become depressed(though its possible) but he will almost certainly experience some degree of stress. Sometimes this lasts for a long time.

Long term stress is not good for anyone. Even if his appetite or meat quality are not affected I would still not do it just out of kindness to the animal.

Edit

Also people that hand raise bottle calves may tell you different because the animals are used to being alone from birth and usually have dairy in them which lessons the natural instincts of cattle that tell them being alone is a danger. Keep the source of your information in mind.

Edited by turbo diesal 3/2/2021 18:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)