AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Urban Encroachment Not Important/Existent
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Big Ben
Posted 3/2/2021 14:27 (#8868322 - in reply to #8868198)
Subject: RE: Urban Encroachment Not Important/Existent

Columbia Basin, Ephrata, WA
btruck - 3/2/2021 11:05

About 900,000,000 acres farmed in the US, at your rate of 2000 acres a day, 730,000 acres a year it would take 1232 years to develop all the farmland.

The people I've talked to that were being encroached on, and had also decided to move on, were ecstatic about the price they were receiving for their ground. They were moving 50 to 100 miles away and buying 2-3 times the acres.

I know, I know, Grandpa farmed this ground and all that. Most of our ancestors abandoned their whole country and moved across an ocean for better opportunities.

If you're a salesman in the area being encroached on, yes you have some decisions to make. Lots of dealers that sold big tractors 50 years ago are selling lawnmowers and utility tractors now. The market changed and so did they.

Yeah it’ll take hundreds of years to develop it all. That’s the short-sighted “no biggie” answer for anyone that wants to think that development is inconsequential. Thing is, we are already a couple hundred years in, and the first stuff developed always seems to be the dirt that’ll make a good crop with nothing but seed and God smiling upon it. About 1/3 of the way though your 1200 year time frame, we’ll about have all the good corn and bean ground under concrete and we can try to feed everybody off the sub 30 bushel wheat ground and tree/rock pasture ground that nobody seems that interested in developing.

Edited by Big Ben 3/2/2021 14:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)