AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gun machinery - 410 single shot
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

BOGTROTTER
Posted 3/1/2021 19:28 (#8866662 - in reply to #8866549)
Subject: RE: Gun machinery - 410 single shot

Kingston,Mi
One of my brothers has a Damascus 10 gage and it came with a box of brass that were empty. WHEN they used it for giggles , they loaded the brass with a correct amount of black powder. Our uncle was a machinist and a gunsmith, so to some extent they had adult supervision on the correct dosage. Made for some spectacular flames when fired.

Youngest brother has my Dad's Savage/Stevens 22 Long Rifle/410 over and under carbine. When I had it here, I killed my first deer with it using slugs my Dad bought with the gun in the late fifties. That combo has a Williams peep sight and is a nice light weapon.

Edit: The double 10 gage Damascus barreled shotgun was test fired with the correct loads by placing it in a tire (barrel over the tire and stock under the tire) and firing both barrels (one at a time) with a string. When nothing blew up, they proceeded to use it as intended. This shotgun came from an uncle of my Dad's who was blind, he used it to shoot and slightly wound 2 chicken thieves. He heard the ruckus in his commercial chicken house and went to the yard with the shotgun. The thieves hid in the tall grass until 1 decided to run with the message to the other " he's blind, he can't hurt us" . So the first one ran and Uncle Alfred peppered him, the the other one ran and he was peppered also. They reported the incident to the sheriff who advised them that thieving chickens was illegal and their reputation would be ruined if if it came out that they both had been wounded by a blind man. Granddad had a run in with chicken thieves harvesting the yard chickens that were rousting in an apple tree in the yard. He snuck down to the entry way and grabbed Dad's 20 gage single shot, then reached up on the shelve for a shell. He fired in the vicinity of the apple tree and shot of a limb. The chicken thief fell out of the tree, left his bag behind and made for the far end of the farm. Granddad said he heard him hit the fence 1/4 mile away. Grandmother had tidied up the ammo shelve and put all of the 20 gage ammo in 1 box, so slugs were mixed with bird shot randomly.

Edited by BOGTROTTER 3/1/2021 19:48
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)