AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Space requirements for weaned steins?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

LJR
Posted 3/1/2021 14:32 (#8866133 - in reply to #8866018)
Subject: RE: Space requirements for weaned steins?

NW Ohio
I’ve got a barn with an outside lot that’s 40x60 and usuble bedding space inside the barn of about 24x30. Steer stuffer and waterer are outside on lot. Barns open to the east and has a sliding door on the west that’s been partially open all winter. I put 40 Hd of 200# Holsteins in the barn 12/29/2020. To date they’ve used 3 4x5 rounds of straw total and 4 30# little squares every other day. Cleaned the pack out 1 time between now and then. The calves have never slept on a wet bed pack and carry 0 tack.

That puts the inside stocking rate at roughly 19sqft and exterior at 60sqft. Today that calves are roughly 350 or more and the barn is too tight for my liking. Hopefully moving them out tomorrow actually to let the barn sit a few weeks then more weaned calves.

30 would be best but I think I’ve got away with stocking them this tight because I bed like it’s going out of style. Plenty of times I’ve thought to myself they’d be fine another day without bedding but I’ve been strict on the every other day and these calves have been growing great.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)