AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Breaking a 4H steer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Brian Smith
Posted 3/1/2021 15:03 (#8866170 - in reply to #8865334)
Subject: What not to do...

My sister and I were taking a couple of steers to the fair. They were probably 6-700 pounds at this point.

My father decided to use my future car (an old $500 mustang - it was pretty worn out) to break/pull the most ornery of the two steers to break him. I don't know why...Not a good idea. Pulled him about 10 yards and that really pissed him off. He took off at a dead run the full length of the rope maintaining a beautiful arc and slammed right into the left fender. Turned around and ran all the way to the right fender. Turned around and ran to the left again...but didn't slam into it...he tried to jump on the hood at this point. Made it half way.

All I could do was look on in horror.

He went and got the Super M. Pulled him about 10 yards with a little shorter rope and he used his new learned behavior. Ran square into the end of the rear axle and staggered a bit. 10 minutes later he was broke to lead with a tractor...then we started walking with him to make him believe a person was leading him.

Funny story today...not so much back then. A little sledge hammer work on the fender and the car worked fine. Of course, everyone always thought I had wrecked it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)