AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Breaking a 4H steer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

GoWyo
Posted 3/1/2021 08:10 (#8865418 - in reply to #8865334)
Subject: RE: Breaking a 4H steer

Get the steer gentle first before you never put a halter on him. Broke to stand while you comb him. Use a 10'x10' pen or at least a smaller area. Get a halter on and let them get used to little tugs. If he is already gentle, usually not a big deal. Some will panic and run around, bit small pen there is nowhere to go. Once he stops, give a little tug on the halter to get him to even turn his head toward you. Once you get him responding by moving his head in the direction of your pull, ask for one step and reward him with release of the pressure on his halter and a little combing. Then ask for another step and release pressure as soon as he takes that one little step. Work in 10-15 minute sessions. I can usually have a gentle calf leading in one or two sessions and they don't get sore heads and chins. I never tie one up until he knows how to lead. Pressure and release just like training horses.

Tying them up and letting them fight it is common, but I don't care for the practice when a little patience and getting the animal gentle first can get faster results and is easier on livestock.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)