AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Automatic waterer recommendations
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Nickeischeid
Posted 2/28/2021 13:26 (#8863728)
Subject: Automatic waterer recommendations

North central TX
The recent cold spell caused enough ice that it pushed holes in the thin spots of my old galvanized water trough I normally just kept a float valve on. So I'm looking at replacing it and the poly tank in my lots with an automatic waterer/s.

Now the loaded question, whats everyone using or recommend?

My home place is only 20 and some change acres of fenced land so we aren't talking about a huge herd. At most it'll water 8-10 pair (normally only 5-6) ,a horse, 2 donkeys and seasonally a bull. If I was to only buy one and install it in the fence line, it would add 2-5 feeders.

I've looked at Cobett, but can't see spending around a grand on a energy free waterer for our climate, I've also looked a Mirafount, Ritchie, and another that starts with a B. Dad has a Tru Test 2 hole that we put in last year and it seemed to do well with the cold but it has an immersion heater and whatever I get is going to be a 100ft run at least to electrical if it requires it. (Not a huge deal)

Reading posts about them on here the past few months I've seen guys say Ritchie's plastic breaks down in the sun, which would be a REAL issue here. Or their Mirafount freezes up all the time so I'm kind of at a research overload I guess.

Has anybody used the tru test waterers? They're based in Mineral Wells, TX it looks like so kinda "local." Like I say, dad has one but I worry about long term durability as its the only one I've seen. It seems to be well built and designed though.

Any insight is appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)