AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farm sale yesterday near Elizabethtown, Ky.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

GrainTrader
Posted 2/28/2021 08:32 (#8863064 - in reply to #8863021)
Subject: RE: Farm sale yesterday near Elizabethtown, Ky.

20 Miles West of Indianapolis Indiana
Family health issues is the immediate issue for not moving.I talked to my wife about it many times. And in the long run there is a lot of potential for me here via family owned land when they retire. But that’s 10-20 years down the road. I don’t mean to sound lazy and not willing to work for something, but I feel like I’d be in the same spot somewhere else as here as potential to farm full time.

If I move to X location, I could sell what we have here, and give up my rental ground, and say buy 150 acres. Build a bin and a shed, work full time somewhere to help pay the rest of the land payment. Spend the next 20 years developing relationships with neighbors hoping to rent or buy their land when they retire. Neighbors who may not like me because I’m trying to expand my farm during that same 20 year’s while being a “new outsider” coming into their neighborhood.

Moving somewhere else sounds great if I could buy a lot more land or had a family member somewhere else or a mentor willing to work with me. If I have that I’m not aware of it.

While I’m working my town job also, I’m just not as motivated as I probably should be to drive a tractor and combine 20-40 miles west or north to farm in a non development pressure type area. I did that 2 years farming something about 14 miles away. Everything would break there. No bins or sheds there to use. And it was wet ground I PP’ed 1/2 of it one year. Kinda got burned out on it from that experience. I’d be willing to travel for some acreage if it had a shed and some bins to store a percentage of the crop. Or if it was enough to farm full time and “secure” enough to quit my job. But while I’m working off farm too I’m mostly just interested in stuff I’m my neighborhood and a little behind. My family’s never really “traveled” for ground. There’s a chance it may be our demise some day n all reality... time will tell
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)