AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calving problems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Dirtfarmer1000
Posted 2/27/2021 21:19 (#8862587 - in reply to #8861955)
Subject: RE: Calving problems

Alberta
Jim - 2/27/2021 15:19

Why feed 1st and 2nd calvers any different than the older cows? They all need roughage (hay), good water and a good mineral program in addition to the right bull. We need to not make things more complicated.

Because first and second calvers need more energy for growth as well as nourishing an unborn calf. Bovines do not quit growing until they are 3.5-4 years old.

If your cows are in good shape, probably bad luck. Are these full term calves? I may be wrong but it is my belief that labor contractions cause a live calf to present itself properly in the birth canal. A dead calf will not turn or a large calf does not have the room to turn. Unless it is a twin, I find most of my backwards calves are big or dead in the uterus. I don't think I ever remember pulling a small backward calf. Keep your chin up, we all have wrecks. One year 6 of my first 12 cows had C Sections for every reason you can think of. Another belief of mine is that feeding excess protein to cows causes big calves. Don't know if its a proven theory but our worst year ever for calving was the year we had to feed canola green feed bales in the winter. Calves were huge and I had more than a couple old cows that I had to use the puller to get calves out and plenty that needed chains. On a normal year, unless a calf is malpresented or twins, we never touch anything older than 2nd calver.

Edited by Dirtfarmer1000 2/27/2021 21:45
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)