AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pore space?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mikenesd
Posted 2/27/2021 15:13 (#8861859 - in reply to #8861600)
Subject: RE: pore space?

Clark SD

jbgruver - 2/27/2021 11:22

Hi Mike,

Mineral soils with high clay content normally have the highest total porosity... in contrast high sand soils tend to have much lower total porosity.

As a result high clay soils hold on to much more water than high sand soils.

In terms of soil function, total porosity is much less important than the volume and connectivity of macropores (big pores that drain rapidly and allow most of the movement of air and water in soil) and the volume of large micropores that hold plant available water.

High sand soils tend to have a high volume of macropores but a relatively small volume of large micropores.

Silt loam soils with good structure tend to have the best balance of macroporosity (drainage) and large microporosity (plant available water).

High clay soils hold more water than silt loams but less of this water is plant available.

Joel
WIU Agriculture

BTW I just learned that one of my former students who is now a grad student at SD State played a key role in developing the cotton strip test that you recently posted about. I will email you off list about this.

Thanks Joel for the information. I did a test a few years back which i explained in my reply to John. according to the soil survey the soil was called a loam with about 25 - 29% clay.
 I couldn't find the one with the loam soil but found this with sandy loam.

Edited by Mikenesd 2/27/2021 19:51

(home place south middle north of slough 6 11 2015 (full).png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments home place south middle north of slough 6 11 2015 (full).png (45KB - 29 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)