AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Data on Cover crops, no till infiltration rates
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

pigfarmer82
Posted 2/27/2021 18:58 (#8862262 - in reply to #8861193)
Subject: RE: Data on Cover crops, no till infiltration rates

north central Ohio
robmgrig - 2/27/2021 08:29

pigfarmer82 - 2/26/2021 20:39

Thanks for sharing your website and research. So I looked at your yield results for wheat and corn that you posted and looks like straight no till without covers warm or cool season is better yield wise? We have used mainly cereal rye after soybeans and if let go to head we have seen as much as a 100bu yield drag on the corn. However killing it off early while does help with winter erosion doesn’t get you much biomass. This regenerative farming has its work cut out for itself at least from an economic standpoint.

Our yield trials comparing cover crops vs no cover crops have not show any statistical difference in yield. HOWEVER we have not had a year weather wise where I would expect a difference. We have not had a bad growing season (drought) where I would expect the cover crop plots to shine since I began theses trials.

As you know, it takes a long time to rebuild the soil. What I am doing with these trials is trying to quantify the benefits we see and track how long it takes to improve the soil. Some results I have been very impressed and surprised by, others I have been disappointed in. And I have learned many things from these plots. For example, the first year I planted corn behind covers, I learned my nitrogen program was all wrong and I suffered a yield penalty from having N tied up. I started applying more N at planting and less on my side dress and brought yields back up to what no till was yielding. I also saw how much a suboptimal stand of cotton was hurting me in the cover crop plot and had to make changes to my planter to increase seed to soil contact.

I have been able to make covers pay for themselves in cotton by reducing nitrogen use and herbicide use. I have not been able to make them pay for themselves YET in other crops. However I know I am building my land for the future and will be much better off when we have another drought of 2007/2012.

Year 1 benefits I saw: great weed control
Year 2/3: increased soil structure/water infiltration rates
Year 3: increased nutrient concentration in tissue tests.
Year 4: increased water holding capacity.

Thanks for replying and giving more explanation. Please share your results in a challenging drought if you have one ( not wishing you one) as I’d be curious if your assumption on increased yield with covers is actually correct.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)