AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Snow is gone........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Gearclash
Posted 2/25/2021 22:53 (#8858702 - in reply to #8858205)
Subject: RE: Snow is gone........

Sioux County, NWIA
carlsoncl - 2/25/2021 19:31

My dad says we’ve been “wet” since 1983. 50’s 60’s and 70’s..........oats barely made a crop some years let alone corn. I was born in 1976. Dad farmed just an 80. The entire crop fit in a 14X35 silo, next year we got hailed out. Both my grandpa’s farmed. Both could not believe the rain and crops we could raise in their last years. Weather patterns change! 160 BPA. Corn in Wall SD is not normal! We could start reversing the wet trend. I farm our families home 1/4, purchased at the end of the depression. The farm started to be a challenge to get planted after 1993. In the 1999 I found tile that our family never knew was there. Probably installed in the very early 1900’s and the records got lost in the numerous foreclosures during the depression. Well, it’s all grid tiled now, history will tell us we’re due for a change in weather patterns. We’ve had 6 100 year rain events in the last 7!years...........pendulums swing.

I have relatives who farm in the Corsica area. The older generation has observed what you have, that there is more precipitation in SD than there was historically. They attribute it to the expansion of irrigation in NE which they theorize puts more water in the atmosphere which = more rainstorm activity. In theory!

Sioux County is said to be a great spot to grow crops but has historically been a bit on the dry side according to older history accounts. In my cognizant lifetime I would say we are not generally on the dry side.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)