AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Palm fat in canadian butter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 2/27/2021 07:52 (#8861098 - in reply to #8860475)
Subject: RE: Palm fat in canadian butter

SE Manitoba
jcfarmboy - 2/26/2021 19:54

dabeegmon - 2/26/2021 11:26

jcfarmboy - 2/26/2021 08:01

dabeegmon - 2/26/2021 06:23

Supa Dexta - 2/25/2021 14:59

Sure, do away with the quota system.. Then you can get your farm much easier.

And stop shouting. I didn't say palm wasn't in the US. I'm commenting on the tactics used trying to protect the golden goose.

What difference would getting rid of the quota make?

New Zealand - - - - milk now costs more.
Germany - - - - milk now costs more.
In large swaths of the US - - - - milk costs more.

If quota disappeared tomorrow there isn't one average person in North America that could afford to start a viable dairy farm.
(Even without quota you would need something like 1.5 to 2 million AND the land - - - here that's another 4 to 5 million).

I don't think its possible to develop a farm from scratch today - - - - even 40 years ago some possibility - - - 50 and 60 years ago it was possible.

It's a scary process right now. To start a dairy from scratch.....around here right now $20,000 plus an acre for land, barns, house and everything else.....6 million easy. Then add in quota.... according to the accountants the magic number is 80kgs of quota 3.2 million.

Cash cropping.... $7,000 an acre is were the accountant says the land pays for itself. Everything over that has to be made up by other work...mostly off farm jobs.

Could you tell me of somewhat normal jobs that pay enough to make up the difference on even 40 acres - - - never mind on 200 acres. (Even with older equipment, great repair skills - - - - it takes some $65 to 70k/year just for living and basic expenses for most.)
Dunno the amount of ground considered necessary to even begin to cover its own expenses if the ground was over 1/2 paid for - - - - maybe you do?

Sounds like one would have to have a $120k/year and the wife close to the same to make anything fly.

That sounds like a LOT of dedication.

Wife and I were both over $60k/year with beniefts and couldn't afford the farm bare land. I had to go to trucking being owner operator to get enough income per year to get approved.

Right now average houses are hitting $600k for nothing special. We have been looking for years for a house with a shop and most properties hit $750k range.

I don't know what the break even spot is.

Suggest you find a property with a shabby house (and decent ground) - - - - assuming the wife is fully on board with the idea.
Then build yourself the shop - - - - build it right!!! - - - - but only put down a minimum of concrete (like for the bathroom and ground floor office) insulate the thing well and put the concrete in later or even in sections.
Build it with your buddies - - - - its not that hard to do and you can help with their projects - - - - - there used to be a lot more of that even some 50 years ago never mind a long time ago.
A decent house - - - - well I would build it in stages - - - - from CASH - - - a house is a bloody liability - - - - its always costing you money and financed - - - it really hurts!!!
Kids can do quite well without a brand new house. (I know one guy where he was out of the house as an adult before his youngest sister was born (18 in all) and I don't think that house was 900 ft2!)
If the house you buy is very well built you could always add on a (well designed) add-on and then fix up the older section well - - - imo that's not always the cheapest solution but horses for courses.
Sweat equity is your friend and make your money work for YOU.
(A heads up - - - - I'm thinking with all this government overspending that there are going to be some real tough times ahead - - - - so be careful!!!)

HTH
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)