AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Maple sap running?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

OntarioCanuck
Posted 2/24/2021 09:13 (#8854910 - in reply to #8854866)
Subject: RE: Maple sap running?

North of London
We have lots in inventory so are not tapping this year.
I understand those with pipelines are tapping now and think it was likely running yesterday with above 0C and sone sun too.

If you have a tree close put one pile/tap in it and see if it is running.
We like to tap our relatively small number when sap is running as we feel it cleans the tap and helps to keep it from drying out or healing shut

You can put more than 1 tap in larger trees.
If the tree is hydro pole size, 1 tap
then add a tap to a tree that is double size and get up to 3 taps on large trees.

Sap is higher % sugar in hard maples, sugar or black , but you can make syrup from soft males too but will need more sap to make the same litre/quart of syrup.

You are not as likely to scorch or burn the syrup as you are to have it boil over.
If you are working in a single pan and taking it all off when it is thick enough then you will need a small fire/heat to finish it off thick enough
Good insurance to have a little sap available to dribble in if it starts boiling over and prevent losing all the syrup over the side of the pan.

As for getting the 'right' thickness you can use a candy thermometer and get the temperature correct and I would have to look up the temperature.
We usually just eye ball the drop coming off a ladle since we like our syrup thick we watch for a 'hair' as the drop leaves the ladle
Google temp for syrup and I am sure you will find info

Good luck and I hope your grandsons get a chance to smell the steam coming off the pan.

Let us know how you get along
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)