AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Good, Band and Ugly trail south of Quartzite
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

John Burns
Posted 2/24/2021 09:05 (#8854892 - in reply to #8854738)
Subject: RE: Good, Band and Ugly trail south of Quartzite

Pittsburg, Kansas
I don't think you would have any problem. It is just slow and careful going through that section. In retrospect there are a couple of places I could have stopped and put some rocks in strategic places to bridge over some big rocks. There are plenty of football size rocks around to do so. So if a person saw a particular spot that looked bad I think it could be easily fixed so it would not be a problem.

The spooky part for us is we did not know when it was going to end. After a half hour in were thinking, "is this ever going to end? Do we turn around or are we almost through it?" Not knowing what was ahead was half the stress. As it turned out for me (not so much for Carolynn) it was actually a fun section of the ride. The rest of the ride was easy prepared roads with a few really nice long steep climbs on the north route.

Leading a group I would again go through the most technical middle trail first (in case there is a problem have it early in the day), then go further up the Peace Trail than we made it (we ended up going over to the little town near California instead which nothing special about that ride), then loop around the north trail (of the three) where the pass over the mountains have some really long climbs (but the road is maintained and good).

We are going back today to see what the south trail is like but based on the GPS picture it looks like a flatter valley and we think (now) it is the easiest route. But we could get surprised!

It would be great if you could make it up Friday. The place we parked is what is in the pictures and where we could meet.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)