AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Vilsack Confirmed - Livestock Condemned
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

CMN
Posted 2/24/2021 11:05 (#8855119 - in reply to #8854769)
Subject: RE: Did Vilsack condemn livestock?

West of Mpls MN about 50 miles on Hwy 12
Reads to me the fear of a possible collapse of our modern corporate food supply system is why Biden seems to be pushing for more support for smaller, local control of the food supply system...especially meat.

https://www.stormlake.com/articles/vilsack-sees-big-shift-in-ag-indu...

And, Vilsack said, he can use relief funds to start cultivating local food systems that help provide resiliency in a market dominated by a few big food processors.

“We can start to build that circular rural economy around resilience,” he said, drawing in institutions like schools, food banks, restaurants, growers and new regional processors. Regenerative agriculture provides crop and livestock diversity that feeds in to that circle. New jobs are created turning biomass into energy, or in smaller meat processing plants.

He sees it, again, as an issue of resilience. The big meatpackers, “if they don’t treat their workers right,” Vilsack said, can falter or fail under challenges like the Covid pandemic. The pork industry was hobbled by an ill workforce last spring, causing food prices to jump 50% almost overnight. He thinks the USDA can use markets to diversify food production with smaller processors catering to more diverse farm operations.

I personally don't why the author that wrote the opinion piece the OP linked embedded the Storm Lake Times link...and I have no idea how the Author interpreted what Biden said the way he did. It reads to me the Author of the OP's linked opinion piece is selling Bidens plan of supporting local butcher shops, small farm meat production, and smaller rural food retailers to his animal loving, vegan friends without realizing that is what he's doing.

The local butcher shops are crazy busy here where Rural MN meets the Twin City metro area...and that trend is not changing anytime soon because of a couple opinion articles written by people with an obvious agenda.

I'm thinking the shutdown of a couple packing plants during this covid-19 experiment was a real eye opener to the powers that be...or the swamp as many people like to call them.

edit to add...Local appliance retailers are selling freezers faster than they can get them in.

Edited by CMN 2/24/2021 11:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)