AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

4-h pigs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

SDfarmer75
Posted 2/22/2021 22:00 (#8852090 - in reply to #8849023)
Subject: RE: 4-h pigs

harry38 - 2/21/2021 15:18

My kids are going to show some hogs for 4-h the 1st week of August. If I want them weight between 250- 300 lb. then. What weight would they need to be April 1 and how much roughly will they gain a day. I have not found any to buy yet, just trying to figure out the right wt to start with. Its been 20 years cents I have had hogs.

We show pigs at our place. I would try to find a Dec. pig. Problem is most of them have been sold by now. Some show pigs don't grow like you would expect (slow), however, they will be older and more mature (stouter) and look awesome when fed right. If they are a growing fool, hold them some. If you want easy, a mid Jan. pig will work if they come from a place that they are growers. The best thing you can do is get a scale and chart the weight gains from week to week. There are VOLUMES of things you can do with a pig.

Edit. The initial weight doesn't really matter. If you fin the pig/s you want you manage them, within reason of course. It's not tough, it just takes management.

Edited by SDfarmer75 2/22/2021 22:05
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)