AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Good idea, bad idea...manure spreading?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

NDCat99
Posted 2/22/2021 09:41 (#8850701 - in reply to #8848169)
Subject: RE: Good idea, bad idea...manure spreading?

E ND
I have great friends from that neck of the woods but they farm differently out there. I think you're probably on the western fringe geographically for a profitable manure hauling business since you're targeting a pretty small demographic in my opinion. How many mid-size cow-calf or feedlot operations do you have within 60-90 miles? The big guys have their own equipment and the small guys out that way don't haul their lots often and don't even both having their own equipment. I see some of those guys with a fair amount of cattle just push up piles in the spring and bucket a some composted manure out every once in awhile and shake it out of the bucket, might need a full blown haul out every 5 years or less.

You need to be in a pretty animal ag dense area to not get killed by mobilization and travel/wear and tear costs moving the equipment. The straight truck spreader pulling a tag trailer with a 2.0-3.0 yard loader on ag tires one man band seems like the only way to go out there. Plan for your costs to stay overnight a couple nights each job. You have an ideal situation to make it work though if the seller has an established book of business and contacts, that's 75% of the challenge right there! Assuming also he has a loader/spreader set up that customers find acceptable for your conditions that works.

Do manure haulers get HOS exemptions on the truck or is it considered commercial and subject to DOT rules, HOS, etc. in ND? Might want to check in to that depending what you're looking at for equipment.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)