AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

increasing kernel size in corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mikenesd
Posted 2/21/2021 21:36 (#8850016 - in reply to #8849739)
Subject: RE: increasing kernel size in corn

Clark SD

GOOSEPILOT - 2/21/2021 18:59

Always exceptions. Lots of assumptions made from lots of studies with lots of variables. Arguments for and against alot of ideas. Zero in reference to ROI though unless I missed it. Lots of ways to grow a crop. Some are more profitable than others. Some yield more than others. Depends on how you want to play the entire game

The thing with notill is it is a very long term system that is more of a religion and lifestyle commitment (not a bad thing). What happens to the crop this year is largely dependent on what you have been doing the previous handful of years combined with this year's weather. This years crop is not as influenced specifically by last fall/this spring fert applications. Much more difficult to get quick results imho.

Now if you figure out your not getting the kernel depth you could be, what are you going to do? Is sprinkling a little fert test on the surface going to give you results for this year or 2 years from now? If it shows some potential this year, could it be 2-3x more if it was placed deeper? Could use apply/spend less? To me there is no question its going to take more lbs of product to bcast and bring up every square inch even though the roots are only going to interact with a small percentage. What does it cost to bcast that amount for x number of years vs banding in 1 year?

There is no single right way or easy answers. You kinda have to find a fert system and figure it out. Bouncing around systems without understanding the consequences of previous decisions can be a real problem.

I know i am not going to change your mind, but please read that article over a few more times.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)