AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fallow and Crop Rotation Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JD105404T
Posted 2/19/2021 20:50 (#8845578)
Subject: Fallow and Crop Rotation Question

Hey Guys,

I live in Northwest Oklahoma where our biggest crop is Hard Red Winter Wheat. I remember one year we planted a 160 acre field to Winter Canola. It ended up getting blown out and we had to put the Listers on one of our Chisels to keep it from blowing during the Winter. We did not plant it to anything else that following summer and we just planted it back to Winter Wheat the following Fall. I Remember the Wheat we harvested that next year was some of the best Wheat we had ever harvested. Do you guys believe that since it was Fallowed for a year it that the rains that came for a year was able to replenish and build up a lot of Nutrients in the soil since they were not being used to feed a crop? Also did a lot of the wheat Diseases go away? I know we also see a decent yield bump when we have a Winter Canola in the rotation. I don't think the Canola yield bump is quite as good a Fallow year. The main reason people in my area plant Winter Canola is so can spray for Feral Rye, Joint Grass, and Cheat. I have also heard that it breaks up Wheat Diseases. Do you guys also believe that Rotating Crops like this helps replenish certain Nutrients? I also found this Picture that Oklahoma State posted where they show the Differences in yield between Continuous Wheat, Wheat and Canola Rotation and Fallow Wheat Rotation.

Thank you,
JD105404T

Edited by JD105404T 2/19/2021 21:02

(DgpE3d7UwAAnTdX (full).jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DgpE3d7UwAAnTdX (full).jpeg (112KB - 55 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)