AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

corn kernel weight
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

GOOSEPILOT
Posted 2/20/2021 13:31 (#8846816 - in reply to #8846112)
Subject: RE: corn kernel weight

WC Mn/Dakotas
Mark (EC,IN) - 2/20/2021 07:47

I'll admit I didn't take time to read the whole article (may later), but how is kernel weight different from test weight?

Read the article lol!

I do figure kernel weight into my yield estimates. That pioneer app is cool and often times pretty close but not always. I dont rely on it at all, but I'm sure many get consumed by those kinds of things (easy buttons). Planter performance and uniform emergence plays a huge factor in accuracy of these calculations.

Every time I set foot in a field it's done with the zone map pulled up and going to georeferenced points within each zone. Then I pull ears off of the same row unit at each location. When I pull ears, its from plants that represent that zones avg spacing and emergence. I am not going to pull ears from plants that are by skips or doubles unless that is the "norm" for that row unit in that zone. I dont cherry pick ears placed all high or low on the plant. Each time an ear is located 1 position lower on the plant it is about 10-12% less yield. I select 5 avg ears, husk them and throw out the biggest and the smallest, keeping the middle 3 as the average. I do this for a best zone, middle zone, and poor zone. If kernels can be shelled, I shell them and weigh them. If I can't shell them, then my spreadsheet for estimates gives 3 different kernel/bushel results. Then I put the results from each zone into GK and build the yield estimate map. I can get really close with this method about 2 months before it gets harvested. If my estimate is off, it's off proportionately. There are no big surprises.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)