AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

alternate energy sources
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

GOOSEPILOT
Posted 2/20/2021 11:09 (#8846548 - in reply to #8846250)
Subject: RE: alternate energy sources

WC Mn/Dakotas
There are many examples of technology that is designed for maximum output, that if operated at less than wide open/maximum you do greater wear and tear or even cause it to fail by being "throttled" back. A Nascar super speedway engine is an example. It is designed to run wide open for 500 miles plus. If you let off a little it will run too lean and will do more damage. Having to stop and start are the hardest part of a gas turbine in aircraft. I will let mine idle for quite a while rather than shut it off and then restart it between loads. Many times irrigation wells that have been shut down and then restarted will get air in the system that needs to be bled out and baby sat for a while. Gaskets, o-rings, tubing, etc may dry out and fail prematurely when sitting idle. Condensation may build up.

I suspect coal and gas generators are similar. They were designed to run as a primary generator. Requiring these systems to do things they were not originally designed to do to allow green systems "to come in and play for a little while when they feel like it" may be making coal and gas appear to look bad.

To me these less than 100% systems should used as such. Put up what you can use locally and only use them to assist in peak periods. They were designed to Start and stop. So what if they are not run some of the time that they could be running if it means the primary system would otherwise have to back down. They have a shorter run time life so why not extend that over a longer calendar period?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)