AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bi-directional questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jimsonweed
Posted 2/18/2021 21:14 (#8843313 - in reply to #8843205)
Subject: RE: Bi-directional questions

W Texas
I owned a 9030 for several years and I used it every day. Moved a lot of hay into barns and onto semis.

Only real advantage of the tractor is it is reputed to be versatile. It will do a lot of things. Problem is, it does none of them particularly well.

They have a hydrostatic transmission and there is about 1 micron of space between forward and reverse. Most of the older units will creep when you try to put it in "stop". And they will stop for a long time and then vibration will gradually move hydrostatic control lever one way or the other and they will start to creep after sitting still for a long time. Only really safe way to exit the cab is to turn tractor completely off.

It would probably be stout enough for most round hauling and stacking, but it wasn't quite enough for 4x4 big squares. If I ever got a bale a few inches out on the hay forks, it would stand on its head if you hit a gopher hole, etc. Not fun but I never laid it over. Probably had a few truckers shaking their shorts out over those years. Hydrostatic transmission is not good for plowing or heavy hauling of any sort.

Rear visibility is poor and if you are working on a farmstead around livestock or pets or particularly children, this is a significant issue.

Reliability was fine except there is no way to close off the fan and engine compartment completely. I turned it on one day and an animal was in the fan compartment (possibly a cat trying to stay warm near the radiator). Had to replace fan and get radiator repaired. And get a new cat.

The only thing the tractor is even "fair" at is loader work. And if all you are going to do is loader work, a used wheel loader is a more durable machine that is better designed for that purpose and has better rubber and more stability. And also more widely available with parts readily available. One on Tractor House right now in Montana has 7800 hrs and is 25k. That machine is wore out at that many hours and a wheel loader is just getting broke in. Equipment manufacturers design construction equipment assuming it will be abused daily.

If you have any other tractors, you will never use this tractor for actual tractor work, so the versatility isn't very helpful.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)